Thursday, October 12, 2006

This made my day -- heck, it made my month!

This letter the editor from one of my library's patrons appeared in the 10/3 Tucson Citizen.

Librarians spellbind as superprofessionals

I'm old enough to remember 15 years ago, when the Tucson library system was so antiquated, you couldn't even get a printout of what you had checked out until the items were overdue!

Boy, have times changed. I now get more bang for my library tax bucks than for any other service this community provides.

Whether I walk into the Columbus branch to research a car purchase or order the latest sci-fi book for my children, I'm surrounded by state-of-the-art technology and quirky professionals whose prime directive is to get their customers the info and entertainment they're looking for, free of hassle or charge.

The job of the librarian has changed so much over the years that "multitasking" is putting it lightly.

One minute they're throwing Harry Potter parties for the kids; the next, helping patrons with Internet access and researching questions from the most esoteric to the mundane.

Libraries that used to be half-empty now teem with users, and the librarians do an incredible job of making everyone feel welcome.

The other day, my 9-year-old told me she wants to grow up to be a librarian. I can't think of a better job for contributing to society.

I just hope those extra tax dollars are going to pay these superprofessionals the salaries they deserve. Every penny toward that end will be well spent.

No comments: