So, in case you need a tried and true recipe for a yummy Christmas cookie, here is one of my family's favorites...
Cinnamon Nut Diamonds
Sift and reserve:
2 c. sifted all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
Blend in a large bowl 'til light and fluffy:
½ lb. softened butter (2 sticks or 1 c.)
1 c. light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. ground walnuts or pecans
1 egg yolk
1) Add the butter to the flour mixture and mix well.
2) Spread onto greased 15x10x1" pan.
3) Brush with 1 egg, slightly beaten (just egg white is OK too).
4) Sprinkle with nuts and push into the dough.
5) Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes (30-35 min. at sea level) until deep brown; do not undercook.
6) Cut into 2" diamonds, cool.
NOTE: A pizza wheel makes a handy cutter. These cookies are very brittle, but they hold together better the longer you bake them.