Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Will Sherman article: Why Libraries are Important

Will Sherman (degree tutor.com) has published a list of "33 Reasons Why Libraries and Librarians are still Extremely Important."

I am always a bit surprised when people suggest that libraries have no future because my library is busier then ever. As much as I get a thrill when I discover a new digital resource, I believe that people will always need people and face-to-face contact, and that this is a huge strength of the library: a human voice when you phone, an expert who finds you more than you expected to find, and a place where anyone can go and access information and entertainment with no electronic interface necessary.

Plus, the book is still an incredibly successful technology.

A note to degreetutor.com: please don't make it so difficult to find out the credentials of your writers.

No comments: