Friday, September 12, 2008

80s flashback

I have been spending way too much time on a site that collects videos of 80s music. The range is huge: punk, new wave, pop, rat pack, glam, goofball, and a lot of European stuff I'd never heard of (and I lived in Germany in the 80s!). I don't listen to oldies radio stations so it had been years and years since I've heard most of this music, and wow, most of it doesn't hold up.

Still mesmerizing: Traci Chapman, Club Nouveau, Eurythmics, Fine Young Cannibals, Sade, Don Henley, Bangles, Grace Jones, Herbie Hancock, Neil Young, Nirvana (90s, I know), U2, World Party.
Soooo period: Duran Duran, Falco, After the Fire, INXS, Madonna, Love and Rockets, MC Hammer, Psychedelic Furs, Stray Cats, Kraftwerk.
Surprises: Clannad, Concrete Blonde.
They were better live: B-52s, The Police.
Vid disappointing but I'd put it on my iPod: Bananarama, Blondie, Golden Earring.
Still strange: Cameo, Joe Dolce, Divine, Mr. T, Plasmatics, the Residents.
Gratuitous Gene Kelly fu: ELO.
I liked them??? What was I thinking?: Billy Idol, Billy Squier, Dead or Alive, Quarterflash, The Romantics.
Ewww (you've been warned): Adam Ant, Apollonia 6, Culture Club, Lipps Inc.
Raw then, seems contrived now: Dead Kennedys.
No, no, no, no, even after all this time: Chris De Burgh, Hall & Oates, Wham.

No comments: